Our Vision Statement
The Strategic Management Plan outlines a vision-driven strategy for the City of Richmond to manage change. Together, the vision, mission, and core values which follow provide the anchor for organizational priorities, strategies, and actions.
The Vision statement for the City of Richmond is meant to provide a clear image of where the organization is heading over the next decade or two. It is meant to capture the spirit of the organization and to inspire its workforce and partners to work towards a vibrant future. The vision reflects the hopes for the City of Richmond for the future.
Our Vision is . . .
For the City of Richmond to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada.
Key Vision Components
The key components of this vision are the attributes "appealing", "livable", and "well managed". As part of the Strategic Planning process, input was gathered from a broad base of staff to clarify these concepts within the City's vision statement.
The Mission statement for the City of Richmond is meant to define the purpose of the organization. It defines why the organization exists, who the City serves, and how it will go about providing service. It also establishes some priority areas for service delivery.
Our Mission is . . .
To protect and enhance the City's livability and economic well-being for current and future generations through:
- Visionary leadership and responsible decision making
- Accountable and sustainable fiscal practice
- The development of a unique and beautiful city
- Product and service excellence and efficiency
- Community consultation
Our Core Values
From senior management to auxiliary staff, these values are the lifeblood of the City of Richmond, and we do our best to maintain them through policy and practice every day. Our Core Values define our Corporate culture, how we interact with each other and perform our duties at work.
Our belief in people is our number one commitment. We are fair, respectful, supportive and inclusive. We reflect this belief by:
- putting people first
- supporting and encouraging staff growth and development
- celebrating and appreciating each other’s efforts and successes
We demonstrate the pursuit of excellence in everything we do. To be the best we can possibly be, we must always strive for outstanding results from all parts of the organization. We demonstrate excellence through:
- focusing on customer service
- practising continuous improvement
- being accountable and taking responsibility for ourselves and our work
As we strive to achieve our corporate vision, quality leadership is demonstrated by every person in the organization through behaviours that reflect:
- honesty, integrity and respect
- effective and open communication
- empowerment and commitment to our purpose
We believe in the power of team. We are all one team; there are no silos. We succeed, learn and work together to achieve our vision through:
- focusing on our common goals
- demonstrating concern for fellow team members
- building on our strengths and collective knowledge
Innovation is the key to our success. We work collaboratively, both internally and externally, to be innovative, responsive leaders in municipal government in a rapidly changing world. We do this by:
- challenging the status quo
- learning from others and from past experiences
- taking well-managed risks and unleashing our creativity