COVID-19: Restoring Richmond Plan
The City is restoring services and amenties in carefully planned steps.
Learn more.

City Services

Permits and Licences

This page was developed to help you locate the forms and/or related information available on this website that you would require to apply for a City licence or permit. 
If you  have questions regarding any of these application forms please contact our Customer Service Centre or see Contact Us to find the department contact.

* if text appears with no link, we are in the process of adding this content to the site, or it is not available.

Rezoning, Subdivision, and Development Permits
For more complete Information on Development Application Services visit the Business & Development section and hover your mouse over "Development" in the main menu. The following are links to permit information in that section:

Building Approvals
For complete Information on Building Approvals Services visit the Planning, Building & Development section and hover your mouse over "Building" in the main menu. The following are links to permit information in that section:

General Info

Building Permits

Fire Sprinklers Permits

Plumbing & Gas Permits

Demolition or Moving a Building /Permit to Move a House

Sign Permits

Other Building Permits

  • Provisional Occupancy Permit - Call 604-276-4278 * 
  • Occupancy Permit for Temporary Buildings - 604-276-4278 * 

Tree Removal

  • The City's Tree Protection Bylaw generally prohibits the cutting or removal of any tree larger than 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter at breast height (dbh) without a permit. For more information see Tree Removal.

Soil Removal and Fill Deposit Permits
Strict regulations apply to the removal and/or deposit of soil or fill pertaining to properties located within the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR). As a result, prior approval must be obtained through the City AND the Agricultural Land Commission (ALC), except in cases of approved "farm use". Both the ALC and the City have enacted regulations governing excavation or dumping within the ALR and these regulations also include a list of any regulatory "exemptions";

The application process for a "Soil Removal and Fill Deposit Permit" is comprehensive, consequently, all steps have been detailed in the following Permit Requirements Checklist. However, a summary of the process is as follows; 1. Submit an application to the Agricultural Land Commission via the ALC Application Portal; 2. Submit an application to the City by printing and completing the following forms; City Application Form and City Letter of Authorization (optional).
For more information on the application and approval process please refer to Soil Management in the ALR  or contact Community Bylaws at 604-204-8797.

Street Use for Special Purposes ** To use other City owned facilities for Public Events or to obtain the necessary permits and licences see our Events Applications and Approvals System, and/or any of the following:  Field Bookings, Rental Facilities and Birthday Parties.

Public Event Permits and Licences
To help streamline the permits and licences approvals process for public event the City has developed an online Event Applications and Approvals System that will take you through the steps of getting what is necessary for your event and provide you with all the related information.

Parking and Towing
  • Towing Permits 
  • Pay Parking Permits
  • Parking Permits for People with Disabilities

    Contact: Richmond Centre For Disability

    #100 - 5671 No. 3 Richmond, BC  V6X 2C7

    Phone: 604-232-2404

Commercial Vehicle Licences

Commercial Vehicles 

Filming on Location Fireworks and Burning

The Fire-Rescue Department issues the following permits:

  • Low / High Hazard Fireworks - Public Display (Qualified Fire Works Supervisor)
  • Outdoor Burning - Agricultural Only (October 01 - April 30)

Please call 604-278-5131 for more information.

Business Licences

  • Business Licences

    Note: Road Side Stands and Amusement Centres are regulated differently, but require the same business licence application form.

Electrical Permits
  • The BC Safety Authority is the electrical permitting authority for Richmond. Those doing regulated electrical work in permanent buildings are required to obtain a permit before they begin. Electrical Permits, depending on the scope of work, may be required for temporary structures or buildings including those associated with special events such as filming. For more information on performing electrical work, getting your permit and working with contractors visit Safety Authority.  

Dog licences

Donation Bin Permits

The Donation Bin Regulation Bylaw No. 9502 regulates the placement and use of donation bins on City land.

Not a City Service

The licences listed below are not administered by the City they are handled by other agencies. Because we are frequently asked about these, we have provided the referral information below.

Day Care Licences
Richmond Health Department inspects and licences daycare facilities. The Health Department fall under the Provincial Government. See Community Care Facilities for more information.

Contact: Richmond Health Department 604-233-3147

Hunting and Fishing Licences

The Provincial Government regulates hunting and fishing licences through the Fish & Wildlife Branch.

Liquor Licences
The Provincial Government regulates liquor licences through the Liquor Control and Licencing Branch.

Driver's Licence
Driver Licencing is a Provincial Government responsibility which has been contracted to ICBC the crown corporation responsible for driver insurance.
Please see the ICBC Driver Licensing webpage.

Contact: ICBC Driver Testing and Vehicle Information 604-661-2255

Marriage Licences
The registering of births, deaths, and marriages, and the issuing of licences and certificates is a Provincial Government responsibility. See the Ministry of Health Services, British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency website at: