COVID-19: Restoring Richmond Plan
The City is restoring services and amenties in carefully planned steps.
Learn more.

Property Bylaw Violations

Report a Problem

To report a problem a bylaw violation or to make a general enquiry, please:
  • Complete the Customer Feedback form online
  • Call 604-276-4345
  • Fax 604-276-4052
  • Or write to:

Community Bylaws Department
City of Richmond
6911 No. 3 Road
Richmond BC V6Y 2C1

Please provide your name, address, phone number and an alternative phone number, if possible and the address or exact location of the complaint property. Please describe your complaint or enquiry briefly and concisely, as this will help to serve you better.

Complaint Process:
The Community Bylaw Department investigates numerous complaints each year. To serve you better, bylaw complaints are handled as follows:
  1. A complaint is received and assigned a file number and forwarded to an investigating officer. (Officers investigate complaints on a priority basis).
  2. The officer initially visits the complaint location and assesses the complaint. The complaint will be discussed with the violator or, when no one is at the property, a letter is sent to the property owner specifying the bylaw violation and the action required to remedy the violation prior to a specified date.
  3. When the specified compliance date has expired and the violation remains unresolved the officer may initiate legal action to resolve the violation.

Officers will attempt to contact and update the complainant. However, due to the high volume of activity, continuous call backs may not be possible.