COVID-19: Restoring Richmond Plan
The City is restoring services and amenties in carefully planned steps.
Learn more.

Environmental Concerns


You have the right, as a resident of Richmond, not to be disturbed by excessive noise and you have the responsibility not to disturb others by causing excessive noise.

Noise in Richmond
Barking dogs, construction noise, yelling, shouting and loud radios are examples of noises that you or your neighbours might find disturbing. Depending on their severity, these noises may be prohibited under Richmond's Noise Regulation Bylaw No. 8856. See the City Bylaws section for more information.

Barking dog infractions are investigated by the Bylaw Department at 604-247-4630.

Construction noises and other noises, not requiring police attention, are investigated by the Richmond Health Department at 604-233-3147, during regular business hours or the next business day.

Filing a Noise Complaint
To file a complaint for the above, please complete our Customer Feedback form online.

Complaints regarding disturbances such as parties, yelling and shouting should be directed to the Richmond R.C.M.P at 604-278-1212 or 911 if it's an emergency.

City bylaws do not regulate aviation noise. Complaints concerning aviation noise or noise generated from the airport can be reported to the YVR Noise Information Complaint Line at 604-207-7097. See Airport Noise & the Community for more information.

What is the Law Regarding Noise?
Barking Dogs
The Noise Regulation Bylaw prohibits any kind of sound made by a dog, continually, sporadically or erratically, for any period in excess of thirty minutes.

Construction Noise
The Bylaw permits objectionable and disturbing noises made by construction activity:

  • Between 7 am and 8 pm Monday through Friday that is not a holiday for any type of construction;
  • Between 10 am and 8 pm Saturday that is not a holiday for any type of construction; and
  • Between 10 am to 6 pm on a Sunday or holiday, provided the construction is in connection with a residential building or structure and undertaken personally by the owner or occupier of the premises.
  • Holiday means New Years Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, British Columbia Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day or any other statutory holiday that may be declared by the Province of British Columbia.

Certain activities or special events, which would otherwise violate the City's Bylaw, may be permitted with a temporary noise exemption permit.

Exemptions applied to work on City road construction projects are posted in the "Roads Dykes Water & Sewers" section of this site, see Noise Bylaw Exemptions.

Prosecution & Penalties
Officers may first attempt to resolve the noise issue, by providing a warning notice, prior to issuing a fine.

Fines for breaking the bylaw start at $100 and can escalate up to $2,000 for each offence.

Customer Feedback
For more information on Bylaw Services or to report a problem a bylaw violation or to make a general enquiry, please complete our Customer Feedback form online or call 604-276-4345