The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
The City of Richmond is looking for motivated and high-performing individuals to work the 2018 General Local and School Election as Presiding Election Officials. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan City, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada. This is a great opportunity to join the 2018 Election team and serve your community.
Election Official (EO)
2018 General Local and School Election
Are you energetic, enthusiastic and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills? Do you enjoy working in a fast paced environment? If so, we are looking for you!
Reporting to the Presiding Election Official (PEO) and/or the Alternate Presiding Election Official (APEO), Election Officials (EOs) are responsible to ensure that election procedures and rules are followed in a voting place.
Examples of key EO work activities include, but are not limited to:
- Setting up (morning) and dismantling (evening) the voting place (booths, signage, and supplies)
- Checking in and processing registered electors
- Checking in and recording votes on the electronic voter’s list (Advance Voting opportunities only)
- Administering registered electors’ declarations
- Issuing ballots and providing clear instructions for marking ballots to registered electors
- Directing electors to PEO or APEOs as required
- Assisting with closing, including clean up, of the voting place after the close of voting at 8:00 pm
- Perform other general tasks throughout the voting place as assigned by the PEO/APEO
If assigned to work with the vote counting unit/ballot box, key work activities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting electors with inserting their ballot into vote counting unit/ballot box while maintaining secrecy of the ballot
- Confirming with the elector that their ballot has been accepted
- Handling vote counting unit messages
The Election Official should:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada and have a Social Insurance Number
- Not be actively working for any election campaign, elector organization or candidate
- Not be related to a candidate running for office in the 2018 General Local and School Election
- Review training material prior to Voting Day
- Be able to carry out the duties of an Election Official faithfully and impartially
- Ability to effectively communicate and provide a high level of customer service
- Skill and ability in dealing tactfully and courteously with the public
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to solve practical problems
- Ability to clearly explain election procedures
- Knowledge and aptitude for working with technology
- Proficiency in a second language is considered an asset
Voting Hours: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Hours of Work: Approximately 7:00 am to 9:00 pm, or until dismissed by the Presiding Election Official (PEO)
- General Voting Day: $225 per day
- Advance Voting Day(s): $225 per day
The City of Richmond’s Election office offers competitive pay rates and extensive training. If you are looking to be a part of the 2018 General Local and School Election team, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada,” please submit your application by following the instructions below.
- Download the application form.
- Send a completed application form to Richmond City Hall, 6911 No. 3 Road, Richmond, BC, V6Y 2C1, or attach your application to an email and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and the position(s) you're applying for on the subject line.
The position of the Election Official will remain open until all positions are filled.
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.