Alternate Presiding Election Official
The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
The City of Richmond is looking for motivated and high-performing individuals to work the 2018 General Local and School Election as Presiding Election Officials. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan City, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada. This is a great opportunity to join the 2018 Election team and serve your community.
Alternate Presiding Election Official (APEO)
2018 General Local and School Election
Do you have supervisory and leadership experience leading the activities of a small team and have you participated in an election process? If so, we are looking for you!
The Alternate Presiding Election Official (APEO) is the assistant supervisor who works with the Presiding Election Official (PEO) in conducting all election proceedings at a voting place in accordance with the Local Government Act. The APEO takes direction from and reports to the PEO. The APEO will be called upon to substitute for the PEO in the event of an emergency and/or in the unlikely event of the PEO’s absence.
Examples of key work activities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure, under the guidance of the PEO, that the voting place is operated in compliance with election procedures and rules and in accordance with the Local Government Act
- Attend training sessions and thoroughly review all training materials
- Provide direction and support to Election Officials (EOs) on Election Day(s)
- Supervise the setup of the vote counting unit/ballot box, the computer and the voting place (booths, signage, and supplies)
- Assemble, with the PEO, the vote counting unit/ballot box prior to the opening of the poll
- Provide assistance to electors including responding to all enquiries
- Supervise staff in the operation of the vote counting unit including ensuring staff assist electors to insert ballots into the vote counting unit while maintaining the secrecy of the ballot
- Supervise staff in handling vote counting unit messages
- Conduct voter registration, including ensuring electors have the necessary registration documentation/identification
- Ensure all registration, and other documentation, are accurately and thoroughly completed
- Assist in the supervision of the closing of the voting place, including conducting closing procedures on the vote counting unit/ballot box and possibly delivering all election equipment and supplies to the Election Headquarters
- Perform additional tasks as assigned by the PEO
The Alternate Presiding Election Official should:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada and have a Social Insurance Number
- Have a minimum of one year previous experience as an Alternate Presiding Election Official (APEO) or an Election Official (EO) in either a federal, provincial or municipal election, or equivalent
- Not be actively working for any election campaign, elector organization or candidate
- Not be related to a candidate running for office in the 2018 General Local and School Election
- Attend training sessions prior to Election Day(s)
- Be able to carry out the duties of a Presiding Election Official faithfully and impartially
- Ability to effectively communicate and provide a high level of customer service
- Skill and ability in dealing tactfully and courteously with the public
- Ability to multitask, identify and adapt to changing priorities for self and staff
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to solve practical problems
- Ability to clearly explain election procedures
- Knowledge and aptitude for working with technology
- Proficiency in a second language is considered an asset
Voting Hours: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Hours of Work: Approximately 7:00 am to 9:00 pm, or until dismissed by the Presiding Election Official (PEO)
- General Voting Day: $285 per day
- Advance Voting Day(s): $285 per day
- Training Allowance: $110 total for mandatory training sessions
The City of Richmond’s Election office offers competitive pay rates and extensive training. If you are looking to be a part of the 2018 General Local and School Election team, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada,” please submit your application by following the instructions below.
- Download the application form.
- Send a completed application form to Richmond City Hall, 6911 No. 3 Road, Richmond, BC, V6Y 2C1, or attach your application to an email and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and the position(s) you're applying for on the subject line.
The position of the Alternate Presiding Election Official will remain open until all positions are filled.
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.