General Information for Candidates
General Local and School Elections will be held on Saturday, October 20, 2018 to elect a Mayor, eight Councillors and seven School Trustees. Those elected will serve in office for four years.
- Important Dates
- Elections BC contacts
- Elections BC Regulations
- Elections BC Guides and Forms
- Candidate Expense Limits
- Third Party Expense Limits
- January 1, 2018 to September 21, 2018 - Election Period
- September 4, 2018 to September 14, 2018 - Nomination Period
- September 22, 2018 to October 20, 2018 - Campaign Period
- October 6, 10, 11, 12, and 13, 2018 - Advance Voting Days
- October 20, 2018 - General Voting Day
- January 18, 2019 - Financial Disclosure Statement Deadline
Contact Elections BC if you have questions about campaign financing, election advertising and third party sponsor rules.
Elections BC contacts for candidates and elector organizations
Office hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Local Elections Campaign Financing (toll-free): 1-855-952-0280
- Local Elections Campaign Financing Act
- Local Elections Campaign Financing Expense Limit Regulation (B.C. Reg. 309/2016)
- Guide to Local Elections Campaign Financing in B.C for Candidates and their Financial Agents
- Disclosure Statement Forms for Candidates
- Financing Arrangement Forms and Instructions
- Campaign account letter for savings institutions
- Guide to Local Elections Campaign Financing in BC for Elector Organizations and their Financial Agents
- Disclosure Statement Forms for Elector Organizations
- Campaign Financing Arrangement Forms and Instructions
Third Party Sponsors
- Guide for Local Elections Third Party Sponsors in BC
- Third Party Sponsor Disclosure Statement Forms
As outlined by Elections BC, all candidates in the 2018 local government elections, including Richmond’s General Local and School Election, have expense limits that apply during the campaign period (September 22, 2018 to October 20, 2018).
Each jurisdiction and office has its own limit, which is based on the population of the election area. These limits apply to the 2018 General Local Elections and all subsequent by-elections.
The candidate expense limits for the Richmond election area, and Richmond School District 38 are as follows:
|School Trustee candidates||$66,081.90|
You may also view the candidate expense limits on Election BC’s website.
There are two types of expense limits for third party sponsors/advertisers: directed advertising expense limits and cumulative advertising expense limits.
Directed advertising expense limits apply to advertising about a specific candidate or elector organization. The third party directed advertising expense limits for Richmond are:
|Third Party Advertising||Expense Limit|
|School Trustee candidates||$3,304.10|
If you are a third party sponsor/advertiser and you are conducting “issue advertising” or if you are advertising in more than one jurisdiction, please contact Elections BC for information about applicable expense limits and rules by calling 1-855-952-0280.subscribe to information for candidates